Where can I get the Best Espresso Martini in Charleston?
As an avid coffee enthusiast, living in Charleston has been perfect due to the fact there is a coffee shop on every block.
Once I turned 21 and started going out on the town with my friends, I realized I needed to find the perfect drink.
Everyone has a “signature drink” that they get on a night out.
For some of my friends, their preferred cocktails would be a mojito which by the way (Citrus Club has the BEST strawberry mojito EVER), and for others they go straight for a Moscow Mule. I needed to find mine.
I am originally from the UK and after little research I discovered that in the eighties, a British bartender, Dick Bradsell, created what is now widely known as the “Espresso Martini”.
The day I first tasted an espresso martini was such an important day in my life: Something about the scrumptious mix of vodka, coffee liqueur and espresso attracts my taste buds.
The espresso martini is a cold caffeinated alcoholic drink made with espresso, coffee liqueur, and vodka. It is not a true martini as it contains neither gin nor vermouth, but is one of many drinks that incorporate the term martini into their names.
Over the previous weeks and months, I went around all the bars, restaurants and clubs trying different espresso martinis. I then made the fabulous decision to develop a list, ranking my favorite.
The list is as follows:
Disclaimer: I am in no way QUALIFIED to be giving you this information, however I do think my opinions are right on the money.
Charlestons BEST Espresso Martini’s
The Watch Rooftop 6/10
- Amazing foam to drink ratio, simple taste
Frannie & The Fox : 6.5/10
- Good taste, hyped up too much, location makes up for the lack of TADA in the drink
Bourbon N’ Bubbles: 9/10
- Very chocolate forward, immaculate design on top created with chocolate sauce drizzle, + “heavier” on liquor
- Cons: No beans , chocolate sauce drizzle goes everywhere and creates mess
Bourbon N’ Bubbles continued :
White Choc Mocha martini : 10/10
- Mouth watering, elegant, unique flavor. Cute heart design on top.
Belmont : 5/10
- Interesting cup choice (not martini glass), good strong coffee flavor, little to none foam, has fruity hints in the after taste, bitter rather than sweet. NO BEANS.
Halls Chophouse : 7/10
- Larger than usual martini glass size, vibrant coffee notes, flavor is perfect mixture, (CON) no beans
Felix Cocktails et Cuisine : 8/10
- NO BEANS, delectable chocolate flavor, with a creamy texture. Petite in sizing.
Rue De Jean : 7/10 Cold brew martini
Carmella’s : 2/10 Flavor too similar to a black coffee
Cocktail club : 8/10 Love the glass although not traditional martini glass, notes coffee forward, hint of darker chocolate opposed to milk.
Hope you enjoyed our time spent together and decide to try out a few of the places on the list AND rank them yourself. xx